Christmas season is a time for many of us to catch up with family and friends. This also means holiday drinks and food are at an abundance. So, what can we do to watch the waistline and still enjoy the festive holiday drinks? To answer that, here are a couple recipes that we like, all under 200 calories per serving:
Pomegranate Champagne Punch
(From: Eating Well)
Important to note, this light drink is 128 calories and only 7 grams of carbs!
Makes: 6 servings, 3/4 cup each
- 2 cups champagne
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 cup seltzer
- 1/2 cup citrus vodka
- Lemon twists, for garnish
- First, combine champagne, pomegranate juice, seltzer and vodka in a large bowl or pitcher.
- To serve, pour over ice with a twist of lemon.
**For a nonalcoholic version, combine 2 1/2 cups seltzer and 2 cups pomegranate juice.
Hot Apple Cider
When you combine cider with tea, it adds a whole new dimension of flavor. Surprisingly, it brings the calorie count down from 280 to just 180 calories per 16 oz serving. Serves 6.
- 1 orange-spiced tea bag
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 whole allspice
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- Begin by brewing tea in hot water, according to package directions, with the allspice, cloves and cinnamon stick in the cup as it brews.
- Next, heat apple cider for 60-90 seconds in the microwave until warm in a large microwave-safe mug. Meanwhile, discard tea bag, allspice, cloves and cinnamon stick.
- Finally, pour tea into warm cider and stir to combine.
Perfectly Light Homemade Hot Chocolate
(From: Spark People)
So yummy & perfect for cold nights! Check out the nutrition information for this drink! Serves: 1 Calories: 101; Total Carbs: 14.9g; Protein: 9.4 g
- 1 tablespoon Cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 5 teaspoon no-calorie sweetener of your choice
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 dash of Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract
- Mini-marshmallows, optional
- First, add cocoa, Splenda, salt, and vanilla extra to a mug.
- Next, heat milk in microwave-safe container for 1.5-2 minutes, until very warm.
- Now mix about a 1/4 cup of milk into mug with other ingredients and stir thoroughly.
- Pour in rest of milk and stir to mix well. Then, garnish with a few mini-marshmallows, if desired.
Now that we have shared a few recipes with you, it’s your turn! What are some light holiday drinks that you enjoy?