A perfect recipe for summer time – the “Steak Burrito Bowl Recipe”. It is quick and easy. Add some fresh tomatoes, bell peppers, and romaine lettuce for color and nutrients. Don’t forget to add the black beans, a stellar source of fiber! Not only is this meal high fiber, but it is also high in protein. This delicious burrito bowl recipe is part of our Menu Planning program. Sign up today for this amazing guide – you can try it for free – enjoy over 500 recipes that are RDN approved here.
- 12 ounces flank steak
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 15 ounce can of black beans
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Monterrey jack cheese
- 1 cup white rice
- Combine rice and water, bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Let stand, covered for 10 minutes (or use a rice cooker).
- Meanwhile, chop romaine and tomatoes.
- Slice onion and peppers.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Shred cheese.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a skillet, once hot add the steaks and cook for 4-5 minutes each side (for medium rare) then remove and allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting.
- While steak is resting, add the sliced onions and bell peppers to the pan and saute for 2-5 minutes or until the edges are golden.
- Slice steak.
- In individual bowls, layer rice, beans, tomatoes, steak, onions and peppers, romaine, and then top with a sprinkle of cheese and serve.
To take this up a notch, marinade the steak for 2-12 hours in:
- 1 cup cilantro, lightly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice (or juice of half a lime)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 jalapeno, lightly chopped (for un-spicy remove the seed)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fine pepper