Describing this tempeh recipe in one word would be flavorful! Here’s a vegetarian breakfast or breakfast-for-dinner to add to your menu. Of course, vegetarians may be familiar with tempeh. However, for those who are wondering if they should add it to their cooking, consider that tempeh is a traditional plant-based ingredient that is a popular meat substitute. Per half cup serving, it has 15 grams of protein and is high in many essential nutrients. Tempeh is a fermented Indonesian soy and grain food.
As for the taste, tempeh is mild but tangy, with a nutty taste. It is an awesome meat substitute for vegans and vegetarians. It can be a very important food to add to a plant-based diet and can even be made at home! You can typically find tempeh in the grocery stores, refrigerated and near tofu.
This tasty tempeh recipe is packed with flavor. The following recipe amounts creates a recipe for 2 people with under 350 calories per serving. However, if you sign up for the menu planning program, you can easily switch the serving size to serve as many as you need! Thankfully, it will do all the math for you!
- 8 oz tempeh, chopped/crumbled to resemble ground meat
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp each of: dried sage, thyme, paprika, nutmeg
- 1 Tbs fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbs Worchestershire sauce vegan if necessary
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 4 Cloves garlic
- First, crumble tempeh.
- Next, chop onions and garlic.
- In a large bowl, combine the tempeh, maple syrup, salt, pepper, dried sage, dried thyme, smoked paprika, rosemary, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, and Worcestershire sauce. Then, stir well to combine.
- Meanwhile, in a pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Then, sauté onion and garlic until onion is translucent. Finally, stir in tempeh mixture and cook until heated through.
Of course, the tempeh recipe dish tastes best if served with avocado slices!