This Wednesday, July 11th, is National Blueberry Muffin Day! Enjoy this healthy recipe for blueberry muffins that you can enjoy as a breakfast, a post-workout snack, or even a dessert. Blueberries are in season during the summertime. Blueberries support heart health and reduce the risk of disease. This recipe is part of our meal planning program. Sign up today for a free guide with over 500 recipes that are RDN approved. Go here to sign up.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground flaxmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 375. Grease a muffin tin, or use paper liners.
- Combine the oats and milk and vinegar in a mixing bowl. Let the oats soak while preparing other ingredients.
- Melt butter, let cool.
- Whisk together the melted butter, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- Add the flour, flaxmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir again until evenly moistened.
- Mix in the oat mixture. Fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake muffins for 13-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
If you want to go a little crazy with these you can add a crumb topping! Crumble together 1 tablespoon cold butter, 3 tablespoons flour, and 1 tablespoon brown sugar – sprinkle this on the muffins before baking.