Happy National Walking Day! Time to dust off those shoes and hit the pavement or treadmill for your daily dose of exercise. Sometimes we hear that “I can’t run and walking doesn’t do anything.” Wrong! Walking can be SO beneficial for you. Here are just 7 reasons:
1. Improve your Mood – walking at a moderate intensity can boost your mood and may even help you treat depression.
2. Lower Your Blood Pressure – moderate-intensity walking was just as effective as jogging at lowering risk of high blood pressure.
3. Protects the Brain from Alzheimer’s – improves cerebral blood flow and lowers the risk of vascular disease, may help you stave off dementia.
4. Prevent Osteoporosis – walking is a weight bearing exercise that helps prevent the bone-thinning.
5. Lower Your Hemoglobin A1c – the test your doctors checks to see how you are managing your blood glucose levels.
6. Decrease your Cholesterol – walking just 30 minutes per day can lower your risk for heart disease and stroke.
7. Manage Your Weight – that may mean maintaining or losing weight, walking will help you do both.
Make sure you get your walk in today! Don’t forget that exercise is accumulative, which means that walking in 10 minute bouts 3 times throughout the day gets you 30 minutes of exercise. Need to start off at a slow pace? Don’t worry! You can and should start slowly and build up your stamina and distance, you’ll be at a moderate pace before you know it! So don’t delay, start today!