This tomatoey, garlicy, and savory homemade marinara sauce has a flavor unlike any other marinara sauces. Great for baked zucchini sticks or other baked veggies, bread sticks, spaghetti and meatballs, chicken parm, minestrone, scrambled eggs, shrimp and feta, or even a grilled cheese. This recipe is super versatile and can be frozen easily!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 6 (this easy homemade marinara sauce is very freezable, so feel free to double the recipe!)
- 1 (28 oz.) can whole tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 7 cloves garlic, peeled and slivered
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (a pinch)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 Tbs smooth whole-milled flaxseed
- Pour tomatoes into a large bowl and crush with your hands. Pour water into tomato can; swirl can to collect tomato juices and reserve.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. When it is hot, add garlic.
- As soon as garlic is sizzling (do not let it brown), add the tomatoes, then reserved water from tomato can. Add red pepper flakes, oregano (if using) and salt. Stir. If you are using the basil sprig, lay it on the surface of the sauce until wilted; submerge in sauce.
- Simmer sauce until slightly thickened and oil on the surface is a deep orange, about fifteen minutes.
- Sprinkle Flaxseed onto sauce and whisk to combine. Heat sauce for an additional minute.
Enjoy with baked Italian zucchini sticks, bread sticks, spaghetti and meatballs, chicken parm, minestrone, scrambled eggs, shrimp and feta, or even a grilled cheese! Comment below with your favorite foods to smother in hearty homemade marinara sauce.
Check out more recipes like this easy homemade marinara sauce here. Sign up for a free trial for the menu planning program below!