Colorful food means healthy food! This easy recipe contains tricolor quinoa along with colorful produce. The main player in this recipe game is quinoa. You probably know that quinoa provides health benefits, but what exactly are they? Quinoa is unlike other grains because it is one of the only grains that has all 9 essential amino acids, meaning the protein quality is awesome! Not only is it protein rich, it is also high in fiber, B vitamins, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, and potassium.
- 3 cup tricolor quinoa, cooked as directed on package can substitute any other whole grain such as amaranth, millet, barley, kamut, spelt, freekah
- 2 cup seedless cucumber, diced with skin
- 1 cup mango, diced
- 1 cup cooked beets, sliced and divided
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 3 Tbs hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced (1/4 cup lime juice)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbs cilantro
- In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, cucumber, mango, ½ cup beets, pecans, and hemp seeds. Mix well, top with the remaining beets, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, sea salt, minced garlic or garlic powder, and cilantro. Mix until emulsified.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad and serve.
**For beets: Place 2 inches of water on the bottom of a saucepan and bring to a boil. Place beets in the steamer basket and add the basket to the pot, cover and steam for 15 minutes. Beets are cooked when you can easily glide a fork into to the center.
Hope you enjoy the recipe! Add it to your menu planning along with other tasty dietitian-approved recipes.