Try these delectable Sweet Potato Cakes; guaranteed healthy & satisfying!
This amazing recipe is part of our Meal Planning Program.
Sign up today for this amazing program– you can try it for free– enjoy over 500 recipes that are RDN approved!
- 2pounds sweet potatoes cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce ( or tamari )
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped red chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter for frying
1. Boil water for steaming sweet potatoes. (if you don’t have a steam basket boil enough water to cover the potatoes)
2. Peel and cut sweet potatoes into large chunks.
3. Steam until completely tender, about 30 minutes, tossing occasionally.
4. Let potatoes drain in a colander, uncovered, until most of the liquid is gone.
1. Mix Greek yogurt, sour cream, olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, cilantro, salt and pepper to taste. Whisk until smooth; set aside.
2. Combine sweet potatoes, soy sauce, flour, 1 teaspoon salt, sugar, scallions, and chipotle pepper in a bowl. Mix until potatoes are mashed and all ingredients are combined, but do not over-mix. Add flour as needed if too runny.
3. Melt one tablespoon butter in a frying pan. For each cake, scoop some mixture and flatten in pan with the back of a spoon until cake is about 2” in diameter, and less than ½” thick.
4. Brown each side, about 4-5 minutes per side. Place cooked cakes in a warm oven to heat until serving.
5. Add butter to pan between each round of cakes.
6. Serve hot, with sauce on the side.